Welcome to the CV Counseling Center!
Please use the menu at the bottom (mobile) or to the right (desktop) to navigate to the information for which you are searching.
The CVHS School Counseling Program provides valuable services to students, teachers, and parents. All counselors support the school’s overall mission by promoting academic achievement, career planning and personal/social development. Our primary mission is to empower all students to make informed and intentional decisions regarding their education, their health, and their future. We believe that a school counseling program should be a balance between intervention and prevention, while we assist students in developing skills necessary for success beyond high school. We work to develop and deliver a comprehensive guidance and counseling program that personalizes education for all students.
Our program is based on the standards set forth by the state of Washington and the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model, and endorsed by the Washington School Counselor Association. The ASCA School Counselor Competencies outline the knowledge, attitudes and skills that ensure school counselors are equipped to meet the rigorous demands of the profession. The ASCA Ethical Standards for School Counselors specify the principles of ethical behavior necessary to maintain the highest standard of integrity, leadership and professionalism. They guide school counselors’ decision-making and help to standardize professional practice to protect both students and school counselors.
CVHS Counseling Services
- Provide support for the academic, personal, and social needs of students through individual counseling and through group counseling.
- Act as a consultant to teachers, parents and administration in regards to students' educational and personal needs.
- Provide referral information for students and parents relating to outside support agencies and services.
- Provide information and coordination on testing and assessments.
- Provide college and career information and resources for students and parents.
- Provide group instruction to support The High School and Beyond Plan.
- Provide ongoing support and information regarding academic requirements and graduation.
Comprehensive Guidance and Counseling Program
Central Valley High School’s Comprehensive Guidance and Counseling Program is a competency-based programmatic approach to school counseling and associated educational units (e.g. career, technical, nurses, school psychologists, etc.) which is designed to be:
- Multi-systemic (school, home, and community)
- Collaborative (educators, families, community members)
- Developmental (helping students at their particular developmental level)
- Proactive and Prevention-Minded (supports students before crisis)
- Accountable to the stakeholders
- Educationally focused (helps students reach educational, career and personal-social goals)
By the late 1990’s, this programmatic view had become the most widely used organizational framework for the profession endorsed by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA, 2012) and state school counselor organizations. Currently, ASCA’s National Model for comprehensive school guidance counseling programs is the framework that Washington State’s CGCP is in large part fashioned upon. Thus, Central Valley High School Counselors have adapted both the ASCA National Model (2012) and Washington State CGCP to create our CVHS Comprehensive Guidance and Counseling Program.
Adapted from Washington State Comprehensive School Counseling Guidance Program Model, 2017 (WA State School Counseling Program Model).